Thursday 19 July 2018

ALD. JANIE'S FUNDRAISER: NO EXTRA WORDS NEEDED

A night showcasing the Launceston community, its potential and its abundance of talent is how Janie Finlay will launch her campaign for mayor and alderman. .......... Held at the Albert Hall on August 8, the black-tie gala dinner costs $150 per ticket and will feature talented young performers from Bee Bop Dance Studio and an award-winning auctioneer. .......... “I love the movie The Greatest Showman so I am loosely theming the night around that,” Alderman Finlay said. .......... Tickets to The Greatest Showman: A Celebration of Launceston include a three-course meal and a welcome drink on arrival. .......... “It is a fundraiser for my campaign but it’s more than that ... it is about celebrating all that we are now and the talents that we have here, but it’s also showcasing what is possible for Launceston,” Alderman Finlay said. .......... The event is a representation of “who I am”. .......... “The reason why I am showcasing The Greatest Showman is one of my favourite songs is This is Me and this [the fundraiser] is showcasing who I am and this is me.” .......... At this stage, Alderman Finlay is unsure how much money from each ticket will go towards her campaign. .......... “It will depend on the number of people I get in the hall,” she said. .......... The hall can hold 45 tables with 10 people per tables. Alderman Finlay already had commitments for about 13 tables so far. Tickets are available from Eventbrite. .......... “This is probably the most transparent way of raising funds, by putting on an event and allowing people to make that decision to buy a ticket,” she said. .......... “I believe I am perfectly suited for this role, in this time, in this city and I need a little help.” .......... First elected in 2000, Alderman Finlay served as Launceston mayor from 2002 to 2005. .......... She was the youngest female mayor in Australian history, elected at age 27. .......... In 2007 Alderman Finlay resigned from council to pursue other interests. .......... During Alderman Finlay’s seven-year break from council she worked in a range of diverse positions including NAI Harcourts director, Launceston Tonadoes chairwoman and the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra director. .......... “I spent that time developing a lot more skills, but I wanted to give back to the community,” she said. .......... “I remember from day one, when I got back [to council] I was like ‘wow this is home’, it feels like the perfect role for me.” .......... Alderman Finlay was re-elected to the council in 2014. .......... Launceston’s local government election is scheduled for October 30. ...  Sarah Aquilina

1 comment:

  1. Oh my deary deary me did Trump's public relations and self improvement teams do this for her? What is she thinking about?

    ReplyDelete